View Single Post

Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Liked 135 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
This is the first .38 Special HST loading that Federal has offerred, AFAIK. I have not seen it, but then again I have not been looking for it. At $31/20rnd box MSRP, I likely won't so long as ammo sellers keep selling Speer 135gr SB-GDHP for around $35/50rnd box (+/- $5/box). Plus the Speer load has a solid track record in actual shootings. Obviously, being new, the .38 HST has no track record.

The biggest downside I can see to the .38 HST is the deep bullet seating. It should work fine as an in-chamber load, but I wouldn't want to try doing speed reloads with it. Another reason I like the Speer SB-GDHP is the rounded nose makes it easier to reload.

However, given how well HST performs in other calibers, and has a proven track record in actual shootings in most of those other calibers, I would presume that the .38 Special HST would likely be at least an adequate performer.

But for now I'll stick with the Speer SB-GDHP.
If the price comes down, use it for a carry load but Gold Dots for a quicker reload. I inherited a 4in .32 S&W Long 31-1 that I bought Buffalo Bore hard cast wadcutters for penetration and Magtech JHP for quicker reloads. The hollow point, even if it doesn't expand, is some what flat and should penetrate fairly deep at 800 fps....hopefully. I never carry the gun, but any gun I own has to have a defensive loading.