View Single Post

Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 PM

Liked 7,749 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
We'll stick this holster up in here.

I like the keen-looking maker's mark on this one. The style of marking is said to have been used between 1890 and 1910.
Hard to know on those bloody Heiser stamps. This mark was presented in leather, to Hermann's grandaughter when she was a 'young girl' amongst the other marks we know so well. She was born in 1922 so it would appear that this mark was still 'in use' by Heiser in 1930 (previously I had deduced she was born right after her parents marriage but FindAgrave corrects me on this).

One has to consider the possibility that this set of stamped leathers represented all the stamps they had ever used; and were not necessarily still in use. Two stamps are missing from the image of all these stamped leathers: the Heiser Denver on two lines, and the Heiser Denver on one line; both surrounded by a box (which is where these stamps got the misleading title of 'cartouche', an Egyptian symbol). In fact they are more of a postal mark; mail to Heiser in Denver (or any other maker with its name and city/state) would always reach its destination because the P.O. had city directories at the ready.

Last edited by rednichols; 05-04-2017 at 10:33 PM.