Thread: Refinished 1917
View Single Post

Old 05-05-2017, 07:22 AM

Liked 705 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
Well, I appreciate the advice - though I didn't take it I'd already bought it by the time I saw your post.

I went and checked it out again yesterday and it has been reamed for 45 Colt. The round chambers perfectly, though it doesn't headspace tightly against the recoil shield. I checked the firing pin and when it strikes it definitely protrudes far enough through the recoil shield to ignite the primers - even with the extra headspacing. I doubt that I'll shoot any 45 Colt rounds in it anyway. From what I' seeing they are about 3-4 times the cost-per-round of 45 ACP with very similar ballistics.

I laid it right next to a nickel plated Model 36 and I'm more convinced than ever that it has been chromed. The nickel is WAY more yellow than the finish on this gun - which looks even more blue in color when they are side by side.

I talked the seller into letting me take it home for $255 OTD, plus he threw in 100 rounds of fired brass he had lying around. I know this one isn't going to interest any collectors, but that's OK with me. I'm into shooters, and this one is still mechanically sound enough to be a good shooter, even if the pitting is ugly.

I figure I'm not going to find a cheaper way to try out 45s to see if I like the round. I've looked at other 1917s & Brazilians on GunBroker and the shooters are all going for 2-4 times more than I'm into this one. I figure I'll buy a few moon clips and a couple of boxes of 45 ACP to give it a try. If I decide I like 45's (as if I ever shot a round I didn't like), then the next step is getting a set of dies and some bullets to reload.

If for some reason I decide I don't like the 45s, then I'll wager I can at least get my money back out of this one.
Glad you bought it. You wanted a shooter and said that this one was good mechanically. If you want the basis for a project gun, you have it. If you just want to shoot it, you're there. My 1917 is one of my favorites to shoot.

Since you reload, get some 45 auto rim brass. 45AR is 45ACP with a rim. No pesky clips to deal with and your 1917 now loads like any other revolver. Use 45ACP dies and a .45AR shell holder. It might be my particular 1917 but it is more accurate with 45AR than ACP.