View Single Post

Old 05-06-2017, 01:14 AM

Liked 9,373 Times in 3,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornax View Post
I have been using strictly Unique powder... It seems to be harder to come by lately, and I am looking for another powder that is versatile. I see many others in the manual, and am interested in trying...
Unique IS versatile. If you can't find any locally, & don't want to order on-line then it's going to come down to what you have available to you locally. Pick one that you can readily find recipes for in your cartridges.

I got started on CFE-P when Unique dried up during the powder crisis. Hodgdon has lots of data on-line for it. Similar burn rate. I've tried it in all the cartridges I load for, except the hyper magnums, & it does fine. Also it's flash suppressed if that's meaningful to you. (Not me.)

One point of note with CFE-P, or any of the fine grain ball powders of similar burn rate; possible double charges, especially in the larger cases. Unique is bulky & generally you're far less apt to miss a double charge using it vs. CFE-P.

Green Dot is a little faster but I've had some really good success with it too, even in 41 Mags, plus it's bulky also.

Trying different powders is one of the things that makes (keeps?) handloading interesting. Go explore!

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 05-06-2017 at 01:16 AM. Reason: .