Old 05-07-2017, 05:25 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
Hi:
I also have a S&W Model 19-4 6".
Have you fired .357 158 grain JSP ammo I it ?
If so, opinions ?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Jimmy-

I don't recall the dash numbers, but have owned both four and six-inch barreled M-19's in which I shot quite a bit of both Federal and Remington 158 grain JSP ammo.

No problems, and it was very accurate. I think it would probably work okay on deer, but for smaller ones, a JHP might be a better choice.

The Federal PR man told me that their 158 grain Hydra-Shok is a good deer load in a .357. It should also fare well on African antelope up to Impala size.

I think JSP would do best on alligators, but the better JHP loads work fine if you hit them in the vital big head scale.
Professional gator hunters hit them there effectively even with .22's. Or with bang sticks, some in .357, I think.

If you're thinking primarily of human foes, hollowpoints are usually preferable, as you want violent expansion coupled with ample penetration. The JSP is designed more for penetration. It would be a better choice on bear or for wild pigs. Or on felons in very cold weather, where the bullet has to penetrate a heavy parka and other winter clothing.

I've been watching a lot of lion videos and wondering about the best .357 load if a lion gets one down in a country where the visitor can carry a handgun. I think the only such land may be South Africa. A 158 grain JSP might do well in that role.

Did I cover the bases well enough to answer your question?

Last edited by Texas Star; 05-07-2017 at 05:31 PM.