View Single Post

Old 05-08-2017, 03:56 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,743 Times in 2,526 Posts

Last is the British MLE Mk I*. Note that it is not 'short'. The bayonet and cartridge pouch are also shown. This one came from New Zealand. There are a lot of MLEs in New Zealand and their history is interesting. New Zealand was regarded by the British War office as the 'red headed step-child' and generally got what nobody else wanted. When they were asked to send a regiment to the Boer War, the troops arrived equipped with .303 caliber single shot Martini-Henrys, the latest thing they had received from the War Office. The British officers in South Africa were horrified and loaned the regiment the latest British rifle, the MLE Mk I* with the understanding the rifles would be returned when the war was over. When the war finally ended, the soldiers were herded onto troopships with their rifles, and when they debarked at Wellington, they were told to vanish into the bush with their rifles. The 'Bloody Poms' were not happy.

This rifle isn't one of these. When World War I started, Canada was equipped with the Ross Mk III, and held the Ross Mk II in reserve. They had quantities of MLEs that were surplus. In 1914, Canada sent a large number of MLEs New Zealand as it was still the standard rifle down there. This one is marked on the buttplate to show it came from Canada. It stayed in service a long time, as the receiver ring is marked HG 9\596. This indicates use by the WW II Home Guard. I don't know what area was numbered '9' but possibly it was Wellington. Anyone have information on this? I also don't know the meaning of the two gray-green bands painted on the buttstock: any enlightenment out there?

When the Zew Zealanders went ashore at ANZAC Cove on Gallipoli on April 25, 1916, they were carrying MLE MkI* rifles. These were not equipped for clip loading and were throated and sighted for the 215 gr round nosed bullet rather than the 174 gr Mk VII that was the issue in 1916.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1020476.JPG (92.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg L1020472.JPG (87.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg L1020473.JPG (101.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00656.jpg (51.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00655.JPG (134.3 KB, 18 views)
The Following 10 Users Like Post: