View Single Post

Old 05-10-2017, 07:13 PM

Liked 5,796 Times in 1,453 Posts

My EDC and the story that goes with it:

Quote:
I bought my first Benchmade a 14200SBT in Early 2008. I became an axis lock fan boy and used it for everything and it became my daily carry.

I lost it October of 2008 in a desert wash on my 4 acre property when it came out of my pocket at night while we were having a party ( I had a huge fire pit in the yard and about 10 friends over).

I originally I though I lost it in the state trust land out in front of my house while quail hunting that evening before nightfall or maybe in the house itself. I had many whiskeys that night and my memory was foggy as was all the other attendees memories and a lot of speculation occurred as to where I might have lost it. It drove me nuts for two weeks.

I looked and looked finally giving up. Replacing it with a BM 530 and moving on.

There was a storm and flash floods went crazy one night in what they called a 20 year storm and and the wash on the property ran pretty deep... a couple of times. This happened September of 2009 over a year after I lost it:

I then bought another house an hour away in July of 2010 so I rented out that home to some close friends.

In August of 2010, 22 months after I lost it, I got a phone call from my friend stating they were walking the wash (above), saw a very small piece of metal sticking out (the pocket clip) and low and behold it was my lost Benchmade.

It was so caked with dirt and rocks it would not open. As you saw from above it was underwater. Not once but multiple times over the 22 months during the monsoons.

So I rinsed it off with soap and water, then tore it apart and cleaned it with steel wool and oiled it up and reassembled it. Put it on the sharpener and it was ready to go.

Some galvanic corrosion scars were all that's left of it's 22 month outdoor excursion. Thankfully I live in low humidity Arizona or it would have been a lot worse.

So here I am 8+ years later and going on the 6th anniversary of it's recovery and I just wanted to share it's story as I still carry and use it daily.

Then last year (2016) the omega springs started getting weak ( I assume due to the galvanic corrosion from being outdoors and hard use) so... off to Benchmade customer service.. 9 business days from when they received it until I got it back.

Replaced all internal parts, sharpened her up like a razor, and gave me a nice new low ride pocket clip I requested.

The Following 17 Users Like Post: