View Single Post

Old 05-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Liked 214 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
It's hard to keep my comments focused entirely on the bill and its wording. And let's note that this bill doesn't affect only students...it applies to administrators, support personnel, and professors as well.

This really just seems to me to be some sort of an appeasement bill...an attempt to fool Georgia 2A advocates into thinking they've accomplished something in hopes that they'll shut up for a while.

To deny school administrators the right to carry in their lounges and offices, to deny professors the right to carry in their classrooms in order to possibly protect students (or themselves), while still touting this as a successful "campus carry" law is simply ludicrous.

I don't understand this line of thought on the part of Georgia's legislators, and I have a hard time seeing this as any sort of "victory" for Georgia's 2A advocates.

What am I missing here?

The Legislature was trying to overcome some of the "reasons" that Governor Deal used to veto a similar bill last year. Deal is, on a good day, only luke warm in his support for the Second Amendment.

One positive aspect of the new law is a conviction for breaking a location rule (by a permit holder) is mandated to only be a small fine. No term of confinement is allowed on conviction.

Perfect? Far from it. It was all that would be signed by our lame duck Governor. In my view, it is a Baby Step forward. Better than standing still or going backward.

BTW, Deal's likely successor is Lt Gov Cagle. He seems more anti-gun than the current occupant of the governor's mansion.

Last edited by TeaDub; 05-14-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: EDIT: changed "no arrest is allowed" to No confinement on conviction.