View Single Post

Old 05-14-2017, 12:11 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,593 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
I've got a brand new 625-8 .45 ACP. It has Chamfered Charge Holes. Don't know if that matters or not.

I know when you loosen/tighten the extractor rod. You are supposed to put empty shells into the cylinder.

I noticed when putting the auto shells into the cylinder, that there is a gap between the shells and star. i.e. it's the same thing as if there are no shells in there. That's because of it being an auto shell instead of something like .357.

With ACP revolver with chamfered charge holes, what's the correct way to support the star when you remove/install the extractor rod?

Are you supposed to put the shells in backwards?

Also does having chamfered charge holes change the way you protect the star?
I'll have to pull out my 325 to be sure, but I believe that you are asking the right question for the right reason.

Having looked at my 325 and my 25-2, I note that the tubular part of the extractor seems to be held against rotation by a small spline in the 25-2, and by a large flat on the tube in the 325. For this reason, I'm not so sure that there is a problem at all with the 325 (or, presumably, the 625-8). However, if I had been arrested even once for indecent exposure, I would probably wear both belt and suspenders. I haven't and I don't, but I would still like to put shells in three or more of the chambers, to some effect (or maybe none, in the case of the 325).

I note that upside-down cases still leave some slack. FWIW, the case spec specifies a taper of three thousandths. Not much, but, don't forget, chamber specs are larger than case specs, anyway.

If you PM me your snail-mail address, I'll send you a few Auto-Rim cases. You probably don't need them, but better safe than sorry.

P.S. I see that some folks lack faith in the D-shaped extractor shaft. I have no knowledge or experience to re-establish any faith in it. If you don't have .45 Colt or .45 Auto-Rim shells for support, PM me.

Last edited by ImprovedModel56Fan; 05-14-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: P.S.