Thread: MIM Parts
View Single Post

Old 05-17-2017, 01:11 AM

Liked 657 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
MIM is a cost cutting measure that profits the manufacturer. Nothing more. And when it breaks it looks exactly like cheap pot metal.
The part itself is actually more expensive on a piece by piece basis. The savings are in diminished hand fitting. It makes zero sense to utilize a more expensive part which still requires extensive hand fitting and is a little more difficult to work with.

Quote:
I recall that the absence of MIM parts was a selling point in S&W Performance Center ads. Back before the "Performance Center" was just another assembly line in the main factory.
Quote:
When I see Wilson Combat or Les Baer putting it in their guns then perhaps I will reconsider. But I don't consider or value, the opinions of fanboys.
I recall no such reference by anybody other than Dan Wesson. Wilson Combat made a line of MIM components and used same in some guns for a few years and then discontinued them. I suspect that they were not selling well in their market slot and a number of their more enlightened prospective customers complained.

The folks who occupy that market share your misinformation and these builders all hand fit oversized parts to fit on a one on one basis. This is the exact opposite of the manufacturing goals which call for the use of MIM parts. In essence, it's all about what the builder is used to and comfortable with plus what the prospective buyer expects at those guns' price point ie: extensive hand fitting of forged and barstock parts.

It should be noted that Smith & Wesson professional shooters such as Jerry Miculek and Judy Golob use guns with MIM parts in competition.

As far as your comments concerning "fanboys", the conventional wisdom regarding those who utter said comments is that ignorance is bliss!

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; 05-17-2017 at 10:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: