View Single Post

Old 05-17-2017, 01:57 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,978 Times in 3,669 Posts

"Frankly, had I found this gun with an un-numbered rear latch, I would likely have passed it by-------------------." (model3sw)

Me too---much to my detriment----anguish----and despair. The time is the 90's. I'm hard at work building collection #2. (Collection #1 was also S&W targets----but defined as anything with target sights. Yeah, I know---pretty dumb!

So, I had passed by several pretty spiffy guns with un-numbered latches---what seemed to be an uncommonly large number of them---but who knows(?). Along comes a 6" Model of '91 target---with an un-numbered latch. It's pretty spiffy too. Even if it wasn't, it's a Model of '91---and I'd never seen one outside of a book----much less a target. Screw it---I bought it---paid a pretty fancy price too. Then the letter arrives. It shipped as a target. (!!!) Jinks went one better, and opined as to how that likely came to pass------added a little tid-bit about it being NOT all that uncommon----never mind what the books said----including his books--which were written a long time before he came to know what he'd learned since.

I never balked at an un-numbered latch after that---paid off big time---never got burned.

Ralph Tremaine
The Following User Likes This Post: