Thread: 4506 value
View Single Post

Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 PM

Liked 9,471 Times in 4,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod57 View Post
TTSH,
Checked out the post link you provided. Very good info there and I think I have a very basic understanding, but where do the base plates fit into all of this. Are they time, serial or model specific? I guess what I am trying to figure out is could any of the factory mags be the ones that came with the pistol? How many mags were shipped with the pistols? The aftermarket mags are not a concern they just were a part of the deal.
Thanks for the response and the link.
I'd need to know your serial number (most of it anyway... to establish the approximate date it left the factory) to answer your question with any real certainty. My 645 came with two original magazines so I assume that early 4506 stepped-frame models likewise came with two magazines.

The infamous 4506 magazine recall occurred in December 1989/January 1990. The yellow follower magazines came out at some point right around or after that recall. But by the time of the recall, S&W was already putting out plastic floorplate magazines for the 4506... no longer metal floorplates except maybe by special order.

So is yours a very early 4506? If so, those metal floorplate magazines could be original with the gun (well, at least one or two of them maybe).

Or was your 4506 manufactured at some point close to or after the recall and the switch to yellow follower magazines? If so, then maybe the two yellow follower magazines were original to the gun.

Got that?

++++++++++

ETA: Another good older thread, this one on the 645/745/4506 rubber pad floorplate magazines, is here.

Last edited by TTSH; 05-20-2017 at 12:48 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: