View Single Post

Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 AM

Liked 534 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robenstein View Post
I saw the TNOUTDOORS9 test on the Buffalo Bore and it left me unsure. It had good penetration but only so so expansion. I am not sure if they are using a harder lead for the bullet. Of course it is a sample size of one.
What would we do without tnoutdoors9? I really appreciate the effort he puts into his channel. If I remember right, the hollow point was clogged with demin after that particular test. So the poor expansion and very deep penetration in the block of gel were not unexpected. I guess that's typical snub nose performance. However, unless I'm mistaken, you'd have to hit someone right on the chest pocket flap of their demin jacket to snag four layers of denim. Not many people wear demin jackets or shirts or present a similarly tough target such as the IWBA protocol that tn9outdoors follows would suggest. Though I guess it really depends on the part of the country and time of year. Where I live in SW Florida, ballistics gel with one layer of t-shirt would be more like it pretty much year-round. I think I'm the only person who even occasionally wears a denim jacket.

I'm sure most defensive ammo works well enough most of the time. The key is that you have to have confidence in whatever you choose. Given the rash of daytime break-ins currently in my neighborhood (and a mysterious "visitor" ringing my doorbell at 1 a.m. a couple weeks ago), bullet effectiveness is definitely on my mind these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robenstein View Post
I picked up some of the Winchester Train and Defend 130gr JHP. It says it clocks at 900fps and I am assuming that is a 4 inch test barrel. It is also standard pressure and low recoil so I think it should serve well in a heavy all steel K frame.
I'm sure the Winchester T&D works fine, though the combination of both light-for-caliber and slow is not to my taste. If it were me, I'd definitely try to find out for sure what barrel length Winchester used to chrono that ammo at 900 fps – or chronograph it myself.

Last edited by SeamasterSig; 05-22-2017 at 12:07 AM.