View Single Post

Old 05-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by one eye joe View Post
I CAN'T IMAGINE A SCENARIO--THAT WOULD BE JUDGED IN A COURT AS DEFENSIVE-- WHEREIN A SLUG WOULD BE AN APPROPRIATE LOAD.........
So, using a slug on a bad guy who's inside your house isn't self-defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestinmathews View Post
I'm taking the first shot as a 3" shell for free as far as capacity is concerned.
I don't like having different loads in a self-defense gun. The reason is, if the first shot misses, I probably want the second shot to be the same load. And, I probably want that second shot to be just as powerful/effective as the first under any circumstances.

Then, what if there are two bad guys? Wouldn't you want the same stopping power for the second guy? So, I say, load full up with whatever you decide is the right first round.

The shotgun is a capacity deficient tool. At best you're looking at 8 rounds and most of us have less. Shotguns like the Saiga are not common and quite difficult to wield. The KSG is the best for capacity.

A side saddle really isn't a problem, but I don't like the extra stuff either. In the unlikely event that you might need a slug, I'd go with this shell holder:

It's one way to get that extra round without being too interfering.

Also, one must pick the right gun. Any shotgun will do, but a regular hunting gun with a 28" barrel is difficult to maneuver in the house. If you're doing it correctly, letting the bad guy come to you, length is less of an issue. I like this one for home defense:

Not expensive and holds 8 rounds. The sights are effective, but don't limit your field of view. This is a very reliable gun when properly maintained. I've fired Trap loads to full power (1400FPS) 00 Buck without ever failing to cycle.

So, get the right gun. Load it with all the same loads to reduce confusion. More importantly, have your fist and second lines of defense in place so they don't get in your house in the first place.