View Single Post

Old 05-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Liked 725 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muss Muggins View Post
Does anyone continue to seriously question the value of low brass target loads at close range after watching that video?
I'm firmly convinced that it can get me a rabbit for the pot or a squirrel. Maybe even a couple of doves. It's hell on soda cans a cookie pans. I am not impressed with it as a defensive load. Buckshot comes in cheap 25 round boxes at Walmart. I take some duct tape and reinforce the bottom of the box and away I go. I carry a box of 25 buck shot, a box of 25 low brass #6's, and a box of 15 slugs in the vehicle. I am prepared for subsistence survival to defense from predators.

I just remembered a story about why I don't (and maybe you shouldn't) use fine shot on serious things. So there was this raccoon ambling about during daylight hours a few years ago. Something was amiss and I decided to take him out. Not wanting to waste my precious magnum buckshot because he wasn't​ too big I loaded a #6. Whowee was he super pissed off when I shot him with that #6. He snarled and started to turn towards me right about the time the 3" magnum buckshot slammed home in the chamber. I immediately touched it off and sent him rolling three feet further away and he was dead when he stopped. So that's where I think back to whenever​ I get the urge to go easy on the problem pops in.