Thread: Guns lose value
View Single Post

Old 05-30-2017, 08:52 AM

Liked 1,791 Times in 618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
I still don't buy that new narrative that today's gun buyers are a vastly different breed of simple commodity self-defense appliance buyers, but maybe that's just my advanced age and "behind enemy lines" location talking.

I will, however, add this to the discussion: .40 pistol sales must be in a death spiral of sorts because I'm seeing giveaway prices on all sorts of .40 pistols, modern plastic fantastics and high-quality all-metal pistols (new and used) as well. Just this past week I was stunned on what I could buy for cheap if only I was willing to add more .40's to the arsenal.

But for the same reason they are selling for cheap, I am staying away from them for now. I really like my full-size .40's and I shoot them well... but if the market for them is crashing, I'm not inclined to buy any more.
I agree with your observations and have seen the same locally on 40's. Never having had a pistol in 40 before I took advantage of this change and got an M&P 40 and also purchased the S&W 357Sig barrel for it for a song. Now I have two new calibers to play with at the range, and who knows I may even like one of them enough to reconsider my EDC.

As for the Shield prices dropping - election, excess inventory, and the likelihood of a v2.0 Shield all are likely factors from what I can tell. While the Shield has been very popular, it is getting "old" for a polymer gun and the M&P 2.0 shows that S&W is willing to update a proven design. We shall see what the next few months bring for the Shield though.