View Single Post

Old 05-30-2017, 03:29 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,693 Times in 530 Posts

OK, I'll be the party pooper...

Below is my no-dash Model 60 which I've owned since the mid 1980s. It is marked ".38 S.&W. SPL." and has the shorter non-magnum cylinder.

Several years ago I sent this revolver back to the mothership to have a broken hammer pivot pin replaced (note the new pin pressed through the frame just below the cylinder release). While talking to the S&W customer service guy, I asked about +P in this gun. He replied it is not recommended due to the "heat treatment" of the metals.

Now we all know my gun will likely handle all of the +P I could run though it. This may loosen the fairly tight action earlier than with standard pressure rounds, but I doubt I will ever fire it enough to achieve that.

I have other J-frames which are my first choice for carry. My Model 60 is generally only used for "around the house carry" and as a range toy. Because of this I will stick to standard pressure rounds.

Another thought, they don't make the no-dash Model 60 anymore. Based on that I'll treat this little revolver more gently. My current production guns get the +P loads since they are are "rated" for +P and are easily replaced if needed.

As they say, YMMV...

Edmo

Last edited by Edmo; 05-30-2017 at 03:35 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: