Thread: Guns lose value
View Single Post

Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 PM

Liked 152 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockquarry
We're in an entirely different "right now" era, with many gun owners quite different from those of the past. Polymer, plastic, or whatever non-metallic materials this new crop of guns are made of does little to enhance resale value or lasting desirability.
In your statement above you're talking about YOUR values and YOUR perspective, not some universal set of values that we all share with you.

For example, I'm not sure that everybody buys guns intent upon passing them on as a family legacy. I've never done that. I'm not sure that the guns I may pass to my son or grandson won't be sold to pay for things that are more important to them than the guns were to me. A small stock portfolio might be more valuable to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockquarry
The intrinsic characteristics of a gun are simply not there. Perhaps the Bic-Pins of the gun world, the newer entries may be very reliable and accurate, but not something I would ever purchase or pass down as a valued possession.
The intrinsic characteristics of a gun are always there, but how those characteristics are valued by one shooter or buyer may be different than by another shooter or buyer.

I've got a number of good quality metal-framed guns, I also have a number of equally good quality polymer-framed guns. And the ones I've kept all shoot very well (or they get sold or traded). I didn't buy any of them as long-term investments. I keep them because I like and enjoy them.

I think that most new guns, while not always as handsome as some of the older guns, are generally better weapons:
  • they are every bit as reliable,
  • generally as accurate,
  • easier to service,
  • hold more rounds,
  • can often handle more powerful rounds than their older ancestors, and
  • weigh less.
If you check the values of MOST metal-framed guns, you'll see many of them haven't held up any better than polymer-framed guns over the past couple of decades. And if you read my earlier comments about the value of the dollar and inflation you'll see that while some prices have gone up, what a dollar can buy today has really gone down. Value? Hard to define, but don't ignore inflation when talking about dollar values.

Value (selling price) is generally based on demand (which can be related to rareness), but as more than one person has said over the years, "there's no accounting for taste."

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; 05-30-2017 at 07:57 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: