View Single Post

Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 PM

Liked 388 Times in 262 Posts

My near 10.00 15-22 extractor spring arrived today though it was sold as a S&W 22A/S pistol extractor spring. Springs are indeed same/same as 15-22.

Spring specs using digital caliper (approx measurements):
Length: 0.823"
Diameter: 0.104"
Wire Thickness: 0.023"
Space between Coils: 0.041"
Number of Coils: 20 including the "pinched" end coils

Note: The factory 15-22 extractor spring had extracted 25 casings. About half the spring on the extractor end had near doubled in space between coils distance as compared to the new spring. Additionally, the overall length of the used spring had shortened by approximately 1/16". No biggie. That's normal for a spring to "take a set" after use. It likely won't shrink further.

Removed my original spring which had one full 25-round magazine through it. Upon removing the "stuck" spring, I noticed light surface rust about 3/16" forward of the recess which houses part of the spring and rust inside that recess. Spring was lightly rusted. Cleaned all and lightly oiled with pipe cleaner.

Pulled up a video to go through this process. Took about 10 attempts to get the extractor reinstalled though in the video it was beyond simple. And when I got it installed, it was one of those deals where I said, "Now how did I just do that correctly?

I had mentioned earlier my discovery of what appeared to be the same extractor spring also use in the S&W Models 22A, 22S, and the SW22 Victory but that I could no longer find that one photo to confirm the Victory spring. Last night I reviewed a youtube Victory disassembly and confirmed the spring.

Days ago I mounted a Vortex Venom reflex (used primarily with handguns). Too low for my liking so I ordered the Venom-specific qd riser for AR15s. Installed about an hour ago. The specs indicated 1/3 co-witness which I was ok with. With me at least, the co-witness with the riser is very, very close to absolute which I prefer (with Magpul flip sights).

Green Laser:

I chose the tiny TruGlo green Micro-Tac Tactical Micro Laser. A little under 100.00. Two sets of batteries included. Each set lasted less than 2 minutes. Not a happy camper.

The manual states it uses 6 lithium AG4 button cell batteries. These 6 batteries come wrapped in very thin clear heat shrink. I thought it was for ease of insertion. Come to find out as I'm researching the batteries after my experience, the wrap keeps the batteries from going to ground to the housing which sucks them dry very quickly. On top of that the batteries were junk Alkaline, not Lithium. With a big magnifying glass I confirmed mine were Alkaline.

These tiny batteries are short on capacity and the last battery to use with any strength laser is an alkaline one.

More research indicated silver oxide AG4 batteries would fill the bill. (lithium AG4s are as rare as hen's teeth). Ordered and received 24 DuraCell silver oxide AG4 batteries.

Kept reading of guys buying batteries and taping them together. I gave thought and decided to try basic automotive heat shrink tubing (black). Fit like a glove with out applying heat. Haven't inserted yet and half expect the tubing might need to shrink due to its thickness. The factory clear shrink was extremely thin. Ordered 3 ft each of 1/4" and 5/16" clear heat shrink tubing. Wasn't sure what my tubing diameter was though I believe it's 1/4". Batteries are 1/4" diameter. Went to trial fit my new battery pack and:

the friggin' allen head battery cap galled therefore no removal. A steel allen wrench and very soft (junk) aluminum don't play well together. I had not gorillaed the cap. Go to my machinist friend's house. Probably took him close to 10 minutes using an extractor to remove the cap. While there he milled a slot (for a screw driver) across the cap. Tiny end mill. Probably spent a solid twenty minutes milling that slot. Turned out sweet.

Emailed back and forth with truGlo regarding batteries. They admitted all this time the manual was a "typo" and were correcting the problem. I closed by saying the problem is the junk noname alkaline batteries. In the mean time another email regarding the galled battery cap. They're sending a new cap.

The tiny laser works fine and I hope it continues. As I stated earlier, my TruGlo red dot/grn laser combo has been excellent on one of my ARs. If I had it to do over again (and I will if this goes belly up), I'd hace purchased the more expensive LaserMax Uni-Max series laser.

Today I also received my tacticool22 barrel nut wrench and barrel vise jaws. Both appear to be of good quality. I'll check to torque in the next day or two and then get everything dialed in.

A major plus is the combined reflex sight, qd riser, and laser weight a total of between 4.5 - 5.0 ounces.

That's about it I reckon. Some pics:

Last edited by bamashooter; 06-01-2017 at 08:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: