View Single Post

Old 06-07-2017, 09:47 PM

Liked 7,749 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG-688 View Post
After our visit with TXshooter, Joe and I hit the Texas Ranger museum in Waco. Few of the many holsters on display were labeled as to maker, but this rig from Ranger James Greer was labeled as a Bedell Rogers. The flat sap was labeled as being made by L.A. Sessums.

(Darn display glass.)

[The photo below the holsters shows a Remington Mdl 81 and a short Mdl 11 - if not an Auto 5.]

The left handed holster looked as new compared to the belt and right hand holster. One might guess that it was rarely worn.

This one was not labeled, but I like it.

As a potential user, I like that these have much less rake than often seen in this style. What DO we call this style, Red?
Myres introduced its version in their 1938 catalogue and called it a Ranger Style, Automatic. The same holster with a rounded, closed muzzle was introduced in their 1931 catalogue as ther Threepersons Style, Automatic. The images I have of the Ranger Style measure from 27 to 39 degrees carry angle, the latter being extreme by todays standards.

We think of Myres as a major player but in 1920 he had only 12 in his shop. While bigger than Sparks is, compared with the hundreds at each of the biggest players today, that's miniscule. I reckon Heiser was getting all the volume in those days.

Reminds me that a re-read of Sandra Myres biography of Sam in 1961 (Sam died in '53) caused me to wonder if she has quite incidentally disclosed the cause of the fire that destroyed his Sweetwater shop: the new stitching machine installed that very year had a gas burner mounted on it to keep the wax melted in the thread lube pot. Sam was away and one of his 12 men perhaps forgot to extinguish it while closing up? Could just as easily have been a cigarette in those days.