View Single Post

Old 06-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb21 View Post
Not "gun dumb". I have been an active handgun shooter for almost 30 years now and a competition shooter for about 10 years. I like the 1911 style thumb safety on the M&P pistol. I use it and it gives me a piece of mind. I do not like the very small thumb safeties on the Ruger SR9 or the M&P Shield. Under stress I would not be able to de activate those little safeties.
I love the safety on the Shield (can't speak for SR9). Since the smaller conceal carry guns like the Shield are often not carried in some kind of holster (maybe a belly band), the flatter safety won't catch on clothes. I carry my Shield with one in the chamber and the safety on in my belly band. With a larger conceal carry gun which I can carry somewhere better, I don't care that much (lever is fine). I have much better finger dexterity than most though (I play piano). I've watched other people fumble with their fingers though. That's not me. I'm already fast at taking the safety off and haven't even practiced yet.

I'm not sure if I'll ever buy a gun without a safety. I like to lighten up the trigger and feel much safer doing that if I've got a good thumb safety. Maybe that's just me. Seems like most guns don't have a thumb safety which tells me most people don't want them and/or don't lighten up their trigger.

I wish more guns out there had options for a thumb safety :-(

Consider me a newbie. Only been shooting for a few years but plan to shoot a lot more now.