View Single Post

Old 06-13-2017, 10:37 PM

Liked 3,840 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Spomer View Post
If you are indoors and you point it out the widow on a sunny day, is the dot washed out?
You didn't ask me specifically, but I'll chime in anyhow. I learned from talking a little with a couple guys here on the board that the washout effect happens with the dual illumination models. Simply put, if your gun is in the dark and depending on ambient light to illuminate the sight, it just doesn't work. In theory the tritium kicks in to overcome the lack of ambient light. In practicality, it just isn't enough. Washout isn't an issue with the LED models. There is quite a bit out there on the net written on the washout issue.

Washout is probably not a big deal if your red dot gun is a range toy. Might be inconvenient at times, but not particularly risky. If you have other plans for the gun like some kinds of competition, self defense, or a duty gun, then the problem becomes more critical.

Rastoff and Steved13 are the guys that pointed this washout business to me. I'm betting CB3 will also come along with the benefit of his experience too. I'm sure there are others, but these posters have shared a lot here about their use of red dots.