View Single Post

Old 06-16-2017, 10:48 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Combat Magnum back from S&W

Just wanted to give an update on the 66-8 2.75 I sent back to smith a month ago.

First, I received it back yesterday so almost 1 month to the day I shipped it out so roughly 30 days turn around time. Not too bad.

Inside the box was a work order that said "evaluate/repair. Cut forcing cone". So I can only assume that was done. It also came back with three blank sheets of paper with the exception of a R on one and a L on another. On one of these I noticed a very faint speck. this appears to be how they tested for the spitting lead problem after cutting the forcing cone.

So today I hit the range today with 6 different types of .357 and .38 to run it through its paces. Im happy to say it made it past 16 rounds of magnums and the cylinder didn't bind! I had absolutely no problems with blowback or the cylinder locking up from jacketing on the forcing cone. After 200 rounds there were no fragments of bullet lodged anywhere near the forcing cone and was clean with the exception of burnt powder.

I am glad that this gun is finally starting to run like it should and how others have reported theres to be in good working order.

With that said I have only a couple other issues now.

After about 100 rounds I noticed that when I would open the cylinder to reload, when cycling the cylinder by hand it had noticeable drag and would squeak every now and again like the wheel on a old bicycle. I assume its just getting fouled up and needs to be cleaned but I have never experienced that with any of my other revolvers.

Accuracy. Has anyone had any accuracy issues with theirs?
Before anyone starts hitting me with the "operator error" answer, let me say I had 4 other smith revolvers with me today all .38/.357, varying barrel lengths, and a new 442. The 66-8 was first shooting low and right so I adjusted the sights. after adjusting the shots were landing at least in the direction of aim but could not get a group smaller than a basketball at 10 yards. With all other revolvers I was hitting softball sized groups at 10-15 yards and the 442 with the 1.875 inch barrel was landing groups tennis ball size at 10 yards.

I might post this question in another thread , but Ive noticed how the rifling just seems to protrude from the muzzle on these 2 piece barrels leaving what appears to be an unfinished look. Maybe I just got one made on a Friday?

Overall smith fixed the issue I was having so that is a plus. I just really want to like this new 66. Feels great in the hand, has everything I want in a .357. Hopefully another trip to the range and a cleaned up yoke will yield better results or it will get sold off until I can find one that is right like others have mentioned owning.

Southpaw- hopefully you will be getting yours back soon!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: