View Single Post

Old 06-18-2017, 11:50 AM

Liked 353 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
Glad to hear it shoots well & you're liking it! Not surprised though, most do.

I'd definitely suggest you replace the recoil, mainspring & firing pin springs, along with a good cleaning, to have a good known to start from. Especially if it'll be used for CC too. New mag springs would be good also. No telling how old they all are...assume the worse, they're not expensive.

I've had no issues going with a reduced hammer/mainspring in any of my 3rd Gens, within reason. I have a Wolff 17# mainspring (factory is 20#) in my 4516-1. It'll slightly reduce you SA trigger pull & the DA a bit more noticeably.

Since it also has an affect on the slide, during recoil, I go up a few pound on the recoil spring to offset it's reduction, which is easy on the -1 since it has a single spring.

Nobody makes a heavier dual/nested spring set so if you want to go heavier on the recoil spring, in the -2, you'll need to change to a flat spring like the ISMI GLC-20, or GLC-22. Try the 20# first. If you go this route, don't forget to verify the slide is not bottoming out on the new spring, but rather on the frame stop/abutment, & trim it if needed, it's not usual.

Happy 45-ing.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a brand new set of dual recoil springs from Sprinco and a NIB magazine. Figured I'd try it with what came in the gun first, and go from there. Hadn't thought about the firing pin spring. Might add that to the next order of gun stuff.

Could old recoil/mag springs contribute to erratic ejection?

My understanding was that weak ejection indicated the recoil springs were too strong, if anything.

I did notice the extractor is super tight (tighter than my 645). I can barely move it by pressing the claw. Supposed to be that tight?

I've read a few threads on the ISMI springs. Seems like people have had good luck with those. If I decide to go down in hammer spring weight, I will try those.

Thanks again.
The Following User Likes This Post: