View Single Post

Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 PM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiesradio1560 View Post
SmithNWesson may have a good point but cars nowdays automatically lock the doors when the cars goes over 3 miles an hour. So I think you would have the extra second to unbuckle.
I would not. Here are the scenarios I would expect:
  • A broken-out driver's side window
  • Proximity and potentially access gained through a ruse, including being lured into leaving the vehicle
  • A fight after an accident
  • An ambush immediate after exiting or entering the vehicle
  • An intentional accident to get the driver out of the vehicle
  • A mob-type attack (note that you can't necessarily count on being able to drive through the crowd--a sickening/disturbing reality is that a few bodies trapped under the wheels will disable a passenger car, and that's assuming you have the nerve to drive over people)
  • Auto-locking doors also auto-unlock
  • Mis-identifying an unknown contact as a law-abiding citizen, and finding out that you are dealing with a very upset, highly-irrational person (I have done this, and got extremely lucky with my reactions, how my almost-attacker reacted in turn, and the fact that he was unarmed; it very easily could have been a Very Bad Time)

Now, the rub is that one mode of carry doesn't fit all situations all the time. AIWB goes right out the window in a crash, under a long jacket, behind a pinned seatbelt, etc. Ankle holsters are inaccessible as you step out of the vehicle. And in a crash, you may not be physically able to contort around to access your CCW. Traditional IWB, depending on your body type, may not be accessible at all when you're driving.

The one thing I would discount is off-body in-car carry, tbh. It's too easy to forget or have the gun be otherwise inaccessible or too slow to get to. If that's all you've got, then great, but I think it's by far the weakest option.

Me? I don't change a thing. My gun is accessible at 4 o'clock IWB, so long as I can bend my back to the left even slightly, or slouch a bit. It's a fact of life that I can't be 100% prepared, 100% of the time, in 100% of god-awful scenarios. If I can't move enough to get to it, then I'm SOL anyway. Similarly, if my right arm is broken in a crash, I don't think that my chances of defending myself in a subsequent attack are particularly great anyway.

Hence, I think that the best move is to practice awareness, a little defensive driving, and to make sure that whatever carry option you do choose is versatile enough to deal with most situations. Like CCW and firearms in general, it's an intensely personal choice.

Last edited by Wise_A; 06-19-2017 at 11:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: