View Single Post

Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

I have a baseline drill that I do from time to time. Target is an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper, vertical (I usually tape it over CoM on a silhouette target). The drill is 2 rounds, in 2 seconds, from 2 yards, from concealment, both rounds on the paper. There's a range I use occasionally that has programmable turning targets. I set it so the target starts on edge, then faces me, then turns back after 2 seconds. I prefer the visual stimulus of the turning target to the beep of a timer. I do this drill both one-handed and two-handed. I shorten the time as I improve. So far, my best time is 1.8 seconds, but I can consistently get decent hits on target within 2 seconds (I'm definitely NOT an expert). I use my 642-1, carried in my usual manner (IWB under an untucked shirt). While I normally shoot standard pressure ammo for practice, I do this drill with +P ammo since that's what I carry.

While quickness is a good skill to develop, don't sacrifice accuracy/precision for speed. Don't try to go fast until you've got the mechanics of the draw down. As the old saying goes, "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
The Following User Likes This Post: