View Single Post

Old 06-25-2017, 10:54 PM

Liked 630 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
Having been in a couple knife fights over my 4 Nam tours, I am not speaking theoretically. Here is why I disagree with you points. Space/distance only creates time if attacker is moving slower than you. You are not going to go backwards as fast as he can close the distance with a frontal assault. Changing direction does force the attacker to slow down for maybe all of a second. But when you change direction you slow down too. No advantage. You cannot compare a knife attacker or attack with a football player, over/ fighter. They are not intent on killing you.

If you watch a boxer he only backs up when he cannot get and advantage, and the action is slow. The aggression goes boxer is not running at his opponent. Football players do not run backwards, and whe that divert to the side they are not facing the tackler, they are running away from him.

Seriously, the best thing you can do is learn to fend off a knife attack with your hands because chances are you are not going to have time to draw. Block the knife wielding arm and use your other arm to deliver a punch to the nose and a palm to. Chin strike in rapid succession. Then you can go for the arm ( not the knife) dislocate the elbow and break the wrist if the thendislocation does not end in dropping the knife. As mentioned above I have opined on the topic in post 39 and 50 in this llShooting while moving training.: four moves in 3 seconds.
And you can't compare a civilian situation with military combat. Having been in combat does not make one a tactition. Just as having been in a defensive gun use situation dosent make me a gunfighter. Empty hands against deadly force (knife) is a losing proposition most of the time.

It dosent appear you watch much fighting or football with you above statements.

You are disregarding may things when you dismiss the factor of time and distance. You are setting in concrete ideas that are abstract. Any advantage that increases a time to contact is a good thing. You are mistaken in saying change of direction doesn't help. Run at someone and have them move out of the way. You'll be surprised at the result. Very simplistic, I know, but I believe we all understand it.

As far as your 3 second moves, tell it to my 86 year old Dad, the 18 year old grocery clerk that plays video games for exercise or the obese smoker with a heart condition neighbor.

To many variable are present to cage a defensive situation.

"No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force."

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
German Field Marshal

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kodiakco; 06-25-2017 at 11:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: