View Single Post

Old 06-26-2017, 04:49 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,548 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayoc01 View Post
Rich,
I disagree with some of your thoughts...a man that trains with a knife,I don't mean once a week will take you apart.Really...yeah ,he will be cutting,& moving while you are "trying" a disarm! Most who prefer a blade..will cut you "before"you even see it.I do,however respect your thoughts.
Jim
Jim, oddly enough I do not disagree with you. From eperience I can attest to the validity of your comment. I have a 2 inch scar about five inches below my left armpit that a knife wielding NVA gave me. He was too fast for me. Getting stabbed sucks, but I got my first of two Purple Hearts that day. Really I would have preferred to not get the medal.

Unfortunately for him he did not hit my lung and had some difficultt retracting the knife. Gave just enough leeway to dispatch him to an ancestor visit.

Everyone should understand that I never meant to make it seem easy to disarm a knife weilder. It is not. Success depends upon the ability to parry the first thrust while instantaneously delivering a couple hard face blows, followed by the disarm movement. The parry and face blows has to happen in a second. If the hits are hard enough the attacker is disoriented for a couple seconds allowing the disarm. Mis one mess up any step and you are going to get stabbed, but your not getting a medal for it.

Fortunately the vast majority of knife attacks are not done by people trained to do it. We were trained in knife fighing but not enough to be good at it. That is why we practiced defense for a couple hours every day while preparing to be deployed.

So we actually see eye to eye. If you can run away from a knife assault that is the best recourse. If you have to defend and cannot employ your gun, then hopefully you have some ability to defend. As I said in another post I would rather take a gun way from an attacker than a knife.

Rich
The Following 2 Users Like Post: