View Single Post

Old 06-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts

Howdy Fellas, well I have an update for you.

I went to the range Friday, shot a decent variety of ammo and observed the following:

Overall function - Gun worked as it should. Zero blowback. Zero shavings at forcing cone. Zero light strikes. No screws backing out. Cylinder didn't bind. One thing about the cylinder assembly is that it was screwed together very tight by S&W warranty repair; so tight that I can't unscrew it with hand strength. I am going to leave it like this for a while as long as the cylinder keeps spinning freely and correctly.

Accuracy - I have some work to do in order to perfect my double action shooting with the puppy. The DA pull is pretty stiff. But in SA, I was getting nice groups. I even shot a group at 25 yards seated at the bench with my gun resting on my range bag, and I kept all 6 shots within the black circle on my targets, probably 4". And this is not representative of the gun, rather my ability to shoot a group at 25 yards. So I am going to declare that accurately on my sample is a non issue.

Ammo shot:

38sp Federal AE 130gr FMJ 50 rounds - This has been my go to practice load. No issues to report.

38sp Freedom 158gr LSWC 50 rounds - This is the ammo that binded up my cylinder last time. No such problems this time. But I have to say, I am going to stop using this ammo. Extremely smokey and extremely messy. Not worth the neatly punched holes they leave in my opinion. Better choices out there. Just too filthy and smokey for my like.

357 Freedom 125gr FP 50 rounds - I believe these are plated bullets. I had no problem with these. Decently hot 357 loads and flawless function. A nice 357 practice load.

357 Federal 158gr JSP 50 rounds - I got these at Walmart for $25 and they are marked CHAMPION on the packaging but I think these are also offered in the American Eagle line. Guys, HOLY COW. This is some hot factory range ammo. Let's out a boom that everyone on the range can feel and the recoil is STOUT. I am not sure the muzzle velocity out of my gun but I would love to clock these. The only time I felt this level of concussion and recoil was when I was handloading H110 & N110 and filling the powder to the gills. This is one hell of a factory round I must say. KA-BOOM. I would not have made it through this box of 50 without a shooting glove. I bet this rounds would be devastating out of a lever action rifle. Kudos to Federal.

357 Hornady Critical Duty 135gr FlexLock 25 rounds - These are stout rounds in their own right. They definitely feel hotter than the Critical Defense 357's. These will get the job done, that is for sure.

So all in all it was a range day that made me smile. If I can keep getting these results, I am considering having Dave Lauck work on this gun for me (i.e. his sights fitted and tuned to my carry ammo, an action tune and perhaps a hard chrome refinish).

Once I break down the cylinder assembly, I will report back to the thread if there is anything note worthy; especially if there is fouling on the yoke.

Thanks gents,

Southpaw
The Following 4 Users Like Post: