View Single Post

Old 06-28-2017, 05:30 PM

Liked 725 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadear dan View Post
J frames to me are up close and personal guns. Looking at Active Self Protection vids on Y-tube will show that 3 yards is probably too far. Most SD scenarios are contact distance. Tactics come into play huge in that what your J can throw at them is not going to his as hard as what he may have so drawing at the opportune time may be more important that the speed of the draw, unless you saw it coming and are able to engage a deadly threat before contact distance. This is were J's have their strongest attribute. With pocket carry and your hand already on the gun it is the fastest draw around. If I have to reload I will not be standing in place, I will be running for cover or just plain running away. Once distance and/or cover is achieved you may want/need to practice single action if you have an external hammer for precision shots, again once distance (your friend) has been gained.
There is so much misinformation here. The snubnosed revolver is good out to as far as the shooter has ability. People that say 3 yards are lacking in ability. I have no problem with a lack of ability. I have a problem with someone who preaches about limitations of platforms that they have no ability with.
Hand on gun in pocket is not always the fastest presentation. Sometimes the gun and hand are snug in the pocket. I partially draw from the holster and get a firm firing grip if I anticipate a problem. I know that I can nail a strong side draw every time because I practice this more often. I don't feel the need to take head starts.
Single action for distance...what kind of distance 15 yards? 30 yards? The short story is that if you do not have the ability at greater than 3 yds double action, you're dreaming at 15 or 30 yards in single action.