View Single Post

Old 06-29-2017, 01:12 AM

Liked 5,214 Times in 2,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29since14 View Post
High-ride, thumb-break belt holster like a Bianchi 19L suitable? That's about all I've got. My holsters are more outdoorsman oriented.

Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate your point.

If someone comes to their first IDPA match without a suitable holster, I start them on each stage holding the gun. As for mobility, on a hot day I often don't go faster than a walk, either. I have one shooter that only shoots BUG-R division, with a 5 shot J frame carried IWB. The image that you need a special gun for IDPA is bogus, and probably a result of the TV programs showing national championships and not always making clear who is the sanctioning body. ICORE, USPSA, and 3-gun are NOT IDPA.

Your thumb break Bianchi 19L strong side holster is just fine. Most people don't like the holsters with retaining straps that snap over the top, but they are legal provided the straps are handled safely and kept snapped when not shooting. The strap is a hazard and frankly, the type is obsolete and a PIA to get the gun in and out. I happen to shoot BUG with a Shield in a Safariland ALS level 2 retention holster because that is how I carry it normally. A dozen other holsters suitable for everyday carry are equally legal; the basic requirements are strong side only, cover the trigger, and not loose to fall out. Ordinary level 1 OWB kydex is probably the most common type used.

Often we have people come to see an IDPA match and don't bring their gear because they feel intimidated, as one young woman did at our last club match. Halfway through the match, she confided "I wish I had brought my gun. I can do this!"

And so can you.

Last edited by OKFC05; 06-29-2017 at 01:51 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: