View Single Post

Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB57 View Post
I agree that some folks free float for the wrong reasons, and I agree that people with quad rail, M-Lok or Keymod fore ends often hang unnecessary **** on them - ruining the weight and handling of the rifle, carbine or pistol.

In this case, however I deleted the original delta ring, barrel nut, and gas block/FSB, and then added a longer Keymod free float hand guard that allowed me to put the accessories I wanted where I wanted them, when I wanted them there. In this case the only things on it are QD for a sling, a back up front sight (with a much longer sight radius) and a short section of rail for a light that is readily detachable because the light isn't needed 95% of the time.

Best of all it reduced the over all weight by just over a half pound, improving the handling.

Also have a couple of varmint ARs with free float tubes, where the only thing added to them is a hole for a sling swivel to attach a bipod. A free float tube is not synonymous with a quad rail, etc.

I also am not in full agreement about the trigger. I shot service rifle competition for years with the required 4.5 pound trigger. Now...admittedly it was two stage, crisp and clean, but way too many folks think a trigger more than 18 oz or preclude excellent accuracy That's not the case, even the average 6 pound gritty AR-15 trigger is capable of good accuracy, if the shooter has mastered the fundamentals of building a solid position, sight picture and trigger control. So it depends on how bad is "bad" when you're talking triggers.
I completely understand why you did what you did and it seems like you do as well which is too often the exception not the rule. Modifying a gun to suit its intended purpose makes a lot of sense if you know what it is you are trying to accomplish. Nice setup. I always recommend that use should dictate gear and setup. Which is seems like you understand.

As to the trigger the problem I see with a lot of AR15s these days that there is not enough consistency in milspec factory triggers. Pick up 10 Sport IIs and the triggers will range from excellent to horrible with most being somewhere in the mushy middle. These can be cleaned up and there is nothing wrong with running a good clean 6lb GI trigger but life is too short to run a gritty one unless you are issued the gun, by your employer as a duty weapon, vs own the gun.

I prefer to run 4.5lb 2 stage triggers because I can and I shoot better with them vs a 6 lb GI trigger. This does not mean I cannot shoot a GI trigger is it that I prefer not to if you know what I mean.