View Single Post

Old 07-02-2017, 12:42 PM

Liked 150 Times in 95 Posts

When the subject comes up where an individual asks the question re: "how much money does it cost to buy reloading stuff?" I always answer that on a basic level a minimum of $500.00 is needed. Less is possible and more is certainly easy to accomplish. But when it's all said and done when the handloader who produces more than 50 rounds per year looks at what he has sitting on his bench (including the actual bench), $1500.00 is probably a better, more accurate number.

I don't know why it is that we (established handloaders) try so hard to justify our hobby to those interested in taking it up, or why we low ball the reality of the true cost of joining the ranks of handloaderdom. Since this is a handgun forum it can be assumed that the potential new handloader will need or want to crank out 100s if not 1000s of rounds per month and unless you have unlimited time and enjoy sitting/standing at a bench for umteen hours per week, then the only other option is to place a progressive press on your bench.

This is going to cost some bux and I think a newb is better served knowing this up front before they hit the buy button for a single stage turret press that they will grow out of in a few months. This is not intended to be an insult to those who have ample amounts of pistol ammo produced on a turret press. But most of us who have a spouse and kids and a full time job and a mortgage do not have the time and energy required to go that route. It is an option for cost considerations but not in my opinion the best option.

As far as per round costs go even in 9mm where factory is relatively inexpensive it is easy to handload ammo for almost half the cost of factory even if you are not casting your own bullets. If someone shoots 1000 rounds of 9mm per month, it will take only 12.5 months for him to break even on a $1500.00 bench investment. And he will have better ammo for all his trouble. And that's 9mm. 38 or 45ACP will enjoy a faster return on investment.

So personally I think that instead of encouraging potential handloaders into buying this or that kit for a couple hundred dollars I think we do the community a better service by pointing out the reality of the thing, handloading, like just about anything related to firearms, is not inexpensive.

If your struggling to put food on the table and paying the electric bill then high volume recreational shooting is probably not in your best interests and you might be better served plinking 100 rounds worth per year on what ever firearm you currently have. I know that for years, literally, I put off handloading and shooting more than once or twice a year because our financial priorities were elsewhere.

Now that the kids are adults we have the time and money but still I couldn't shoot the volume I do now using factory ammo. The negative in my particular case is that my kids are used to Dad providing unlimited ammo and I cannot get my son interested in ammo self-sufficiency.

This is a very good thread with lots of good insights.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: