View Single Post

Old 07-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Suspended

Liked 8,916 Times in 3,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
Even considering that the equipment is fully amortized, there is still the value of your time.

I shoot jacketed bullets on almost all of my reloads and they are a little more expensive than cast lead bullets, so my cost per 50 round box of 38 Special comes out closer to $12.

If I add in the value of my time that box comes in closer to $90. So, unless you want to "sell" your reloading time for about the same hourly wage as a child chained to a sewing machine in a Bangladesh shirt factory, don't do it to "save" money.
And how did you arrive at a value of your time? If you are at home, at night or over the weekend, what would you be doing if you were not watching TV, reading, going shooting, re-loading or other "Leisure time activity"? Face it, you wouldn't be doing anything to make money! This is the most specious of all arguments against hand-loading that there is! It only has value if the only choices are making money or re-loading and we all, including you, know this is not true.

Fine, if you consider re-loading as drudgery, and you can afford it, buy all the ammunition you want. Saving money is not the only reason for any leisure activity.

If you hunt strictly for the meat then this is a reasonable argument, or fish strictly for the fish you catch. How much an hour do you make while golfing, bowling, watching TV, etc?
The Following 2 Users Like Post: