View Single Post

Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Liked 4,401 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
In a couple previous threads, you've mentioned your LEO background and training (l was impressed). What's been your experience with ammo like the GD .38 Special 135gr short barrel ammo in the field. IIRC, there have been a couple other LEO's that post here that were involved in OIS's where lighter weight .38 special JHP's didn't penetrate adequately with multiple layers of clothing (say a couple hoodies), so they wen't back to heavy FMJ. Curious what your experience has been.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm kind of low speed, high drag these days as I'm retired. (Though I do go for my LEOSA qual this morning.)

I haven't used GD in the .38 flavor as yet though I have used them pretty extensively over the years in my 9mm Glocks and am also using them in my AR. I like GDs quite a bit.

I am carrying the Winchester Ranger Bonded 130gr +P round as it was readily available when I was looking for a carry round and it was one that, (along with the GD), was highly recommended by Dr. Gary Roberts from extensive research.

I also have the Critical Defense in 110gr. These also were on Dr. Roberts' list but did not offer the same level of expansion / penetration compared to the above.

I am not averse to the +P load so that's what I carry.

As Dr. Roberts often says, pick one of the rounds with proven characteristics, move on and concentrate on training and skill development. Agonizing over the perfect round once you've made a solid choice is wasted effort.

Everyone is entitled to their own choice but I believe that the testing done by Dr. Roberts and his compilation of data from officer involved shootings and medical records is the most extensive and reliable data available.