View Single Post

Old 07-07-2017, 12:42 AM

Liked 100 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
I guess I am devil's advocate in this thread, but I just have to speak up. I do not think having a white light on the gun is a good idea. Here is why. Let's say you aim it at a person in your house in the dark. The person has a gun and quickly aims at the light and fires. Good chance you are getting hit in a bad spot.

Have a flashlight and point it at the perp while holding it away from your body and worst case you get shot in the hand.

Now let's go outdoors at night. There is suspicious movement in your vicinity. You want to see what it is so you switch on the light. Problem is when you spot a person you are pointing a gun at them. If they have no visible visible deadly weapon, you may have committed a crime. Here in PA, if you are going to point a gun at someone, you better be sure you see a deadly weapon.

With a flashlight you can keep your gun holstered while you look around. If you have to shoot, you can use a cross arm method. I will explain based my being RH dominant.

With flashlight in left hand and my left forearm crossing in front of me so that the light extends past my right side and arm, I place my right arm with drawn gun across my leftmif what I see requires an armed response. The left adds support in case it is necessary to fire. The extension of the left arm keeps the white light target away from your body. OK that was my 2 cents in a 4 cent wrapper.
I agree.. and for this reason I have a few PD36 Fenix lights stashed in my home. Rail light is a last ditch backup as far as I'm concerned.. and being able to deke an aggressor with a secondary flashlight to bring them out of darkness is a beautiful advantage.