View Single Post

Old 07-08-2017, 07:07 PM

Liked 12,677 Times in 3,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Good data. You cannot prepare for everything. For most applications, you should have brought a rifle. That being said, just carrying a serviceable firearm filled with modern self defense hollow points that you are proficient with gives you a leg up on most of the population in terms of self defense.

That being said, a 5 shot snub is more than enough unless I am venturing into a place that I feel uncomfortable.

I live rural. In a low crime area.I do not feel the need or desire to carry my hicaps.

I also follow the 4S rule:

I avoid: Stupid people, doing Stupid things, and/or going to Stupid places, at Stupid times.

The 442 or Bulldog work just fine for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
This. I live in a very warm climate and don't dress around the gun. I have a pocket carried PD 340 with 5 x 357.. I might have a speed strip on me, with at least two speed loaders in the car.

I'm not a cop anymore, so I just stay away from the areas where I feel like I need a hi-cap on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old cop View Post
As a retiree carrying a J frame w/a speed strip, plus a couple of speed loaders in the car, I recognize I'm way over what's needed. But during my LEO career I was in a gunfight where I ran out of ammo (six in the gun plus one reload) and that had a profound and lasting impact on me. Since then (1974) there is always at least a couple of reloads close by.
These are great posts that illustrate a couple of related concepts.

First, LEOs often have the need to go into dark and scary places looking for bad guys. It's part of the job, but even then a smart LEP is going to call for back up. After all, another LEO backing you up is way better than a reload.

As an aside, there is also data that clearly shows the average number of rounds fired per officer in an officer involved shoot increases the more officers are on scene from 2 point something for a single officer to 3 point something for two officers to 4 point something for 3 officers. (Excuse the point somethings - I don't feel like digging up that data at the moment). Some folks feel that's due to a group effect where officers shoot more because other officers are shooting. That might account for some of the effect, but the practical guy in me says that more officers are on scene in the first place because there is an elevated level of threat in the first place, with greater potential for multiple armed suspects. Thus more rounds fired per officer makes sense.

The point here is that if you are an armed citizens with a reasonable degree of common sense, you'll be smart enough to avoid going into places where you might need to use a weapon in self defense.

In addition, if you have and use a reasonable degree of situational awareness you'll be smart enough to recognize those places before you get in to a situation you shouldn't be in.

Second, while it's separate from what you carry on your person, and not directly related to what the OP asked, I'm a big proponent of carrying plenty of ammunition in my vehicle. That's partly because I was the second on scene where a pot (pot belly livestock trailer) had over turned, with the result that there were about 60 yearling heifers with broken legs, serious injuries etc, and very few of them were killed outright in the accident. The state trooper on scene didn't have enough ammunition to humanely dispatch them all of the severely injured animals. This was back in the day when the revolver was still king, however revolver or pistol, I've carried two 50 round boxes of ammunition in my vehicle ever since.

Last edited by BB57; 07-08-2017 at 07:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: