Thread: Model of 91
View Single Post

Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Liked 254 Times in 52 Posts

Here's another little tidbit of information that I found interesting. The two 1891's that came from Gary Garbrecht's collection were numbers 15915 and 16309. My dad was a member of the SWCA and you could e-mail Mr. Jinks and he would provide the month and year the firearms shipped free of charge. Well, 15915 shipped in May of 1899 and 16309 shipped in August of 1896. Three years difference in ship date with the slightly higher serial number shipping first. So when we talk about how S&W's didn't ship in order, here's proof that there were sometimes large gaps in ship dates.

Also, according to Mr. Garbrecht's notes, serial number 15915 was shipped to Iver Johnson in Boston, Mass. Now I don't know if it was the firearms company or just a guy named Iver Johnson. If Mr. Garbrecht had a factory letter, it wasn't included when we purchased the revolver. I believe it just may have been mentioned in the auction description. According to Google, the Iver Johnson Company was located in Worcester and then Fitchburg, Mass, but I found that their holsters are marked 'Iver Johnson, Boston' on the back. Perhaps a factory letter would specify if it was Iver Johnson Arms Company???