View Single Post

Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 AM

Liked 9,358 Times in 3,505 Posts
Default M66-8 Snubbie Forcing Cone Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw187 View Post
Hi folks, I just want to vent a little frustration regarding my 66-8 2.75".

1. Throat Improperly Cut - This issue was discussed in another thread but I will recap it here. I took it to the range after purchasing it and experienced tremendous amount of shrapnel being thrown back in my face, plus copper was being shaved off at the top of the forcing cone and deposited between the top of the cone and the top strap, causing the cylinder bind and lock up the gun. I took this to my gunsmith, the master Frank Glenn, and he identified the problem as a barrel throat that was not properly cut (it was too shallow). He identified this with a plug gauge (a go/no-go gauge) from Brownells. he used a reamer to open up the throat into spec. And this solved the problem as far as I can tell. Although on two instances since then I have taken bits and pieces to the face and arms.
I bought one last weekend. Been "tweeking" a few of my normal things before I head to the range later this week.

Worked on the SA trigger & got it down to 3# by changing to a Wolff 14# & cutting 1/2 a coil off and polishing things up. Also took .015" off the strain screw.

Chamfered the muzzle to rid it of the abrupt opening & it's few burrs.

I was pretty satisfied with things & then I took a last look at the forcing cone as I was getting ready to put it away. I usually brag on how smooth the two-piece barrel's FC are done. This was no exception but then the shallow/short contour of it made me look closer.

A quick check with a new 158gr JHP bullet got my attention when the base of it wouldn't even start to enter into the FC !!

(Bullet stops before the full diameter of the bullet (at the cannelure) is inserted into the FC.)

That's not good. Apparently the same trouble others have encountered with this new revolver.

Having already had to deal with rough, ragged, & minimally cut FCs (on one-piece barrels) in the past I had what I needed on-hand to correct the factory's flaw.

Used my Brownells 5 degree cutter as this has worked best in the past on fixing existing FCs (since most factory cut FCs tend to already have a larger diameter opening than is optimal, ~.020" over bullet diameter).

Used a sized 357 case (.372" OD) as a gage since my plug gages are too long (2") for the frame window.

Finished up with a light polishing with the lapping tool.

Definitely this was not the best work from the factory, & I can understand other people's frustration with it.

At least this one is sized right now & should shoot fine.

For comparison, here's a factory FC on a two-piece barrel that was right.

Now I'm ready for the range.

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 07-15-2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: .added pics
The Following 4 Users Like Post: