Thread: Brill Holster
View Single Post

Old 07-15-2017, 02:48 AM

Liked 7,749 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
As I have said before, I collect mostly floral carved "Big Three" holsters. But, I purchased my first Brill Holster a few days ago. When I was looking I came across the holster that started this thread. That made me think I would not be able to afford one. The one I got was kinda rough, but the Blackrock worked it's magic. I think it also was modified by a previous owner. The safety strap was probably added later (I don't think Brill would cover their Maker's Mark with part of the safety strap), it was probably dyed black later (the back of the holster is brown), and the belt loop on the back of the holster was sewed up so it would fit a narrower belt (1 1/2 inch instead of a 3 inch). Other than that it looks great! It has a pretty thick welt, but I think that is common on a Brill holster. I did not see a model number on it anywhere, so I don't know if Brill holsters have them. If they don't, I sure wonder how you ordered one back in the day. I got it for a good price. It fits a medium frame revolver with a 4 inch barrel. I thought I had gotten all the verdigris off the male end of the snap, but the close up pics say I didn't. Needs more work.

I am hoping Red sees this because from earlier posts in this thread, it seems this holster has rounded corners instead of square corners.

Here are a few pictures (from my computer instead of that evil PB) so they are the thumbnail type:
You posed lots of insightful questions on this one. Indeed the odd backside sewing is typical of Rabensburg's. I'll see if I can find the pic I have of the odd way the welts have been laminated near the muzzle, in these holsters. Agreed that the strap was added; though it could have been period because the snap type we call today a 'glove' fastener'; common enough then but one won't find them on holsters today; Heiser switched from that type to the modern 'dot' style at some point though I don't know the timing of that.

There was only one Brill style holster. The variants we see were for the different pistol styles; so the auto had the trigger guard enclosed, and the short barrelled revolvers did too and had safety straps, and the 4" and up revolvers had the guard resting on the welt and normally without a strap. Basket appears to have been standard, floral an option, and I've not ever seen a plain one (doesn't mean they don't exist).

The first image is a pair of Rabensburg's; we know this because N.J. made them for Stan Nelson while telling Stan and his brother the style's history. The second image is the back of a Brill auto (notice it is a black holster with a brown back; this was done as recently as the Hoyt forward draws of the 60s because of dye rubbing off on the tan uniform trousers); and the last image is the odd layering of the welts on a Brill (look and you will see) which I hadn't ever noticed until a friend pointed it out to me.

x originals (1).jpg

[ATTACH]293435[/ATTACH

brill auto (13).jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brill auto (2).jpg (47.4 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by rednichols; 07-15-2017 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Odd things happening to the image displays incl out of sequence!
The Following 7 Users Like Post: