View Single Post

Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 AM

Liked 640 Times in 368 Posts

From the CMP web site:

In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.

Selling guns to the highest bidder is not in keeping with that mandate IMO. How many youths are going to be able to afford a $1000 handgun? If they could they would be far better off spending less money on a better gun. A used Sig P220 will shoot far better than your average military reject 1911.

I know they will sell the guns. But few will be sold to youths which is their mandate to serve. I used to respect what they were doing providing quality firearms at a rate that meant more people could own them - youths included. Now that seems to be second to seeing how much money they can bring in. This is a government financed operation. Why not just sell new 1911's for what they could get for them? Those would sell also. That is hardly the point of their mission. They have clearly spelled out functions to perform. Being a retailer for milsurp handguns is not part of their mandate.

I'm sure lots of people can afford those guns. But that isn't their function. They exist to get guns into the hands of people who might one day serve in the military. What I see is a lot of gun lovers willing to pay top dollar for a 1911 with military history. How exactly does that benefit the people they are supposed to serve? The people that will be buying these 1911's would be able to buy them elsewhere. The idea was to get guns in the hands of young shooters. I don't see that happening with this plan.

As for buying one if you want one that isn't my point at all. If I wanted one I'd already have one. I have all the guns I've really wanted to get over the years within reason. I could certainly afford a 1911 if I wanted one. But I think about a kid just out of high school wanting to learn to shoot. The CMP is supposed to serve their needs which has included in the past selling quality guns at cut rates to people like that. Selling guns at market prices does nothing to promote youth shooting. I'm not a youth. I don't need that. But there are those who might have been able to afford one of these 1911's if they were sold the way guns were sold in the past by CMP.

Quote:
that assumed standard
I didn't assume anything. I looked up their role historically and currently as prescribed by the law that created the CMP. I read their own statements of purpose and it said several times they exist to serve young shooters. I wouldn't buy one of these guns no matter if they sold them at a discount or not. This isn't about me. I just would like to see the people the CMP was created to serve actually be served by the CMP.

Also don't mistake my statement of facts as me being "upset" over anything. It's no skin off my nose. I wouldn't buy one no matter what. I don't even like 1911's. There are better guns available for less money. I own some. I could certainly afford $1000 for one of these weapons if I chose to do so. You mistake my purpose for posting completely.

Last edited by C J; 07-16-2017 at 07:06 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: