View Single Post

Old 07-24-2017, 05:48 PM

Liked 448 Times in 64 Posts

full mag
Just some quick thoughts:
You make good points in the argument of the "super compact". Yet, I would like to bring a couple of further points forward.
First, I would like to state that for every single handgun shooter, the most important feature of any handgun is "How comfortable are you (the shooter) with this particular handgun".
A proper grip is important in marksmanship, yet I own many pistols, some are more comfortable feeling in my hand than others whether they are automatics or revolvers. And, believe it or not, I consistently demonstrate better marksmanship with those pistols that I like the feeling of than the ones that are not that comfortable in my hand.
Also, how comfortable is the shooter with the functionality of the handgun (i.e. slide safety, slide stop, etc.). All humans learn to use tools, yet each has their own unique perspective on what muscles to use, the coordination, and the logic tree of function. Having taught basic pistol and rifle marksmanship to Soldiers for over 20 years, you would be surprised how step by step, in very intricate detail, one must be to achieve the desired results from a platoon of Soldiers. Each Soldier does understand the instructions, but each one will interpret those instructions in their own unique way until corrected.
Furthermore, the “super compacts” in 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 ACP did not exist until this generation along with the move from revolver to automatic. In the past, one had only limited choices (examples like the S&W Model 36, Colt Detective, and the Walther PPK) of caliber to select from. Most examples being either .38 Special or .380 ACP.
Now, I am not a law enforcement officer, but I believe that the ammo capacity of a duty weapon or back up weapon would be an important consideration in choosing the right pistol. But, as a civilian looking at self-protection handguns, ammunition capacity is not that important. In other words, if I need more than six rounds to get me out of there, then I should not have been there to begin with.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: