View Single Post

Old 07-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Liked 2,526 Times in 1,043 Posts

I carried a 4" .357 revolver for the last half of my career, and it was my CCW for a long time thereafter. I have always had a J frame around someplace as well. Events of the last few years have convinced me, however, that it is no longer "a revolver world" when you are out and about. I recognize that possibilities are not the same as probabilities, and I do not drive an MRAP to the grocery store. But I can upgrade my personal weaponry with less fuss, and have chosen to do so.

Even in these screwy times a J frame will likely suffice for most situations. Then, again, it may not. Like everybody else, I had to go Glock 19 to see if it was perfect for me. I tried; I now favor a lightly modded BHP that I shoot pretty well and carries even better. It's the most reliable firearm I own. Two 15 round mags give me six times the ammo of a J frame, which I like. Even though it's a steel pistol, in a minimalist belt slide I personally find it less burdensome than a 442 in a pocket holster was. Maybe that's just me.

I know about single stack 9s, but for the additional one or two rounds capacity I don't want to give up wheelgun reliability. Small semi autos don't seem to run as well as bigger stuff.

I've been impressed by the .45 Shield, but I'm almost convinced that a modern 9mm load is enough.

Still got a soft spot for that 4" .357, though...
The Following 2 Users Like Post: