View Single Post

Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 PM

Liked 920 Times in 303 Posts

Bought one, haven't found the time to build a heavy enough steel table to use with it yet, can't wait to try it. Remember that the difference of an eight inch at 25 yards is 1/2 inch at 100 yards, or 1/2 MOA. When I'm doing scientific stuff, you can't possibly be good enough, and you can't eliminate enough variables. When you are down to the wire, every little bit counts towards a final "this round averages X MOA".

I was inspired to buy one after getting a DFT Lead Sled, and it does come down to consistency in determining loads. Sure, I can shoot pretty good rifle groups with sandbags, but with the rest you do so consistently, and you know its the round and not you. Even if you are a good shooter, you as a variable will throw off the final average; if you are an average or poor shooter, you may have NO clue what the gun and load is capable of until you get a machine or weighted rest.

I remember an old NRA article on 28 Special wadcutter reloading and testing, and out of a machine rest they were able to average 2.5 MOA using factory swage bullets and 2.8 grains Bullseye, at 50 yards or less of course, meaning 1.25 inches at 50 yards and 3/4 inch center to center at 25 yards, something that gets to be a bit of a task without a machine rest. Combat handgun might be fine without a machine, but with match guns and reloads, i think the only REAL way to say for certain is with one, if you want to know how high your mountain was, or how deep your valley.
The Following User Likes This Post: