View Single Post

Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Liked 12,681 Times in 3,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestinmathews View Post
You mean a load of 21.0-22.0 grains of Win 296? Sort of a small window there with the 125 grain bullet and they don't really feel any different. People who attempt to shoot this in a scandium frame are crazy. I've done it and split my thumb wide open on the cylinder release. It was a fun three shots before I started bleeding. I fired the last two to see how the grips worked covered in blood.
I have fired 100 rounds of full house .357 158 grain at a time through the gun. Not really impressive or oppressive. However, the 296 load is abusive. There is not recoil so much as extremely high torque muzzle flip. Any other ammunition without a heavy roll crimp is getting pulled during recoil. That said, it has crowd pleasing potential. The flash and report make it an absolute show stopper. I'd like to see something keep coming in the direction of than kind of violence. 1200 fps is a great window for the Hornady XTP and Barnes xpb.
Yes, exactly. It's about 10 grains more than the powder weight required for a maximum pressure load using a medium speed powder and that extra 10 grains exits the muzzle at about 3 times the muzzle velocity of the projectile. Even if it fully combusts (which it does not in a short barrel), that gas still has just as much mass as before, and generates a commensurate amount of recoil.

I suspect that higher mass of exiting gas is also what generates the increased torque and muzzle flip effects you've noted.
The Following User Likes This Post: