View Single Post

Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 PM

Liked 183 Times in 36 Posts

My father was a doctor In the Navy during World War II.He was on an attack transport that was transporting army personnel for the invasion of Japan. As we all know, the bomb was dropped and Japan was never invaded. While stationed in Japan, he was required to carry a 30 caliber carbine, even though he was a non-combatant. He said he enjoyed shooting the carbine.

He returned on the transport to the US, after the war when the ship was decommissioned. As was common during wartime, there was a lot of scrounging, and the ship had more equipment, weapons and supplies than it should have. My father and the chief quartermaster were friends, and he gave him an M1 Carbine in cosmoline.

He kept it in that condition for about 10 years at which time he reassembled it without a spring, which prevented actually firing it, so my brother and I could play army.

About 5 years ago I had it completely restored. There was only one spring that was missing. The gunsmith completely documented every part. It was manufactured by Inland in October, 1944.

It's an incredibly accurate weapon and a joy to shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg (95.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Plinkasaurusrex; 07-31-2017 at 10:53 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: