View Single Post

Old 08-02-2017, 12:35 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

You guys brought a memory to my mind. As a rookie city policeman way back in the 60's, I found an open door in the alley that led into a long narrow hallway that went the length of the building containing five offices. Each office had a back door that opened into the hallway. There were about three other doors in the hallway that led to a mop/cleaning closet and a couple of storage closets. This was my first time down this hallway, so I learned this information after the fact. Only two of us on duty in the wee hours of the morning, and the other guy was tied up on another call. So I proceeded on my own!

Had a decent flashlight so I eased into the hallway and proceeded downstream, stopping to test each doorway. The first three were locked.
the fourth was not. So, I got my flashlight into position above my head, gently opened the door and pushed it open away from me. Nothing happened. I stepped into the doorway and immediately saw a guy standing inside. I drew my revolver at the same time that guy drew his. Took a long second before I realized the guy I was looking at had a uniform cap on his head and a badge reflecting light back at me from his chest. I also realized that the guy looked a lot like me!!!! Then I saw the full length mirror the cleaning lady had mounted on the back wall of the closet next to the sink. The guy I saw draw on me was a reflection of myself! I had considerable pressure on the trigger, which I then relaxed. Took me a good bit to begin breathing again and regain my composure to continue the search down the rest of the hall way.

The offices were are locked up tight, and the other two closets had no one in them. Needless to say, my pucker string had all the slack drawn from it!!! Everything checked out good, so I returned to my howl car and sat down to report the same. Dispatcher said my voice sounded like someone else. My mouth was bone dry and my heart rate was still off the scale high. My cohort checked in off his call about then and asked me if I was ready for coffee. I was!! Told him all about it over coffee and he found it very amusing! He was not a rookie but had about three years on the job. Neither of us had anything at all but on the job training in those years. I got a lot of it that night since I learned a LOT from the experience. It's a lot funnier now than it was then!