View Single Post

Old 08-03-2017, 02:56 PM

Liked 171 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule3 View Post
Please let us know what issue(s) (Gun Rag expert) this information can be found in.??

Most shooters do not have Ransom Rests for hands, and do not use brand new un fired brass for every reload. There are so many other variables involved that probably the least important is the actual brand of brass. Handgun shooting is not long range bench rest shooting.
Sure keeping things constant certainly can help but to what degree?
The OP, rwsmith, is a Bronze Contributor with over 21,000 posts to his credit. Someone with chops like that does not ask questions like this just to entertain the rest of us. He obviously wants to know in order to make a valid decision. And even though he also does not have a Ransom Rest for hands, he obviously is experienced enough to know that accuracy is a cumulative process, and that if you take care to address all the variables to the best possible degree, the aggregate is a high level of precision.

Whether or not the unsupported assumption that mixed range brass is the least important in a wide variety of variables is not the point. Addressing each variable you do have control over very much is. How many of us spin pistol bullets and cull those that are out of balance? I don't. How many of you trim semi-auto pistol brass? I don't. How many of you deburr the flash hole or ream the primer pocket on pistol brass? I don't. It's not that they are not important steps; it's because I don't want to spend my time doing those steps.

But, how many of you religiously clean and sort pistol brass? I do, every single time I load. How many of you track the number of times you use a piece of brass? On my heavy revolver loads, such as high pressure 45 Colt, 480 Ruger, and 500 Linebaugh, I do...every piece of brass. On my 45 ACP and 9mm bullseye match loads I do it differently. I shoot only new Starline at the 50 yard line where it counts. I shoot mixed brass at 25 yards where my own ability (or lack thereof) to control shot dispersion far outweighs the benefit of sorting brass.

I'm not saying that these steps are required for every round I shoot in every gun I own. I am saying that if someone asks for advice on how to attain the BEST accuracy, telling him that some variable or other "just doesn't matter" is not helping him get the best answer. It should be our goal to give the very best answer to each question asked of us.

Last edited by keithherrington; 08-03-2017 at 02:59 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: