View Single Post

Old 08-04-2017, 12:30 AM

Liked 17,313 Times in 6,653 Posts

I've flown a number of times since then on SWA and they have not changed their procedure at all.

In general, a suitcase with a checked and declared firearm goes on the regular carousel. If you have a separate gun case, say for long guns, those go to the baggage area for pickup. I've not seen SWA, US Air (when they existed), Jet Blue, or Air Trans (when they existed) mark either type of case in any way.

If the gun case is inside a suitcase, the Firearms Declaration Card is supposed to to be taped to the outside so that TSA knows that it has been declared. If it's a separate case, the card goes in the inside.

As others have said, avoid the airports in Newark, Teeterboro, NJ, and both airports in NYC. The Port Authority Police patrol all four and have a policy that if a person checks a bag with a firearm the airline is to call them. They will respond and ask to see your NY or NJ (depending on which state the airport is in) license. If you don't have one, you will be arrested. Those are the only airports that I'm aware of that do that. Even Logan in gun unfriendly Boston, does not do anything like that.

I also recommend that you get a cable and secure it to the frame of the suitcase. Most suitcases now have internal frames for the wheels and extendable handles. Secure one end to that and the other to the gun case in such a way that it can only be removed if the case is opened or of course someone cuts the cable. Which they won't do, they'll just wait for another gun case to come along that isn't secured.

I also print out copies of the TSA and the airlines policies. I've only had to use it once, but it came in handy.

Although the TSA will tell you that they use the same procedures at every airport, that is not true. There is some variation from airport to airport. The TSA staff will tell you that ONLY THEY do it correctly and everyone else is wrong. Which is BS.

Use a good NON TSA lock. I recommend a keyed one because you might be at an airport where they will not allow you into the secure room and will demand your key or combination. They aren't supposed to, but if you argue about, you aren't going to fly. If you ask to speak to a supervisor or the manager for the terminal, you'll wait until after your flight has left.

Jet Blue does not allow the ammunition in the same case as the firearm. Apparently they are afraid the ammunition will jump out of it's box and load itself into the firearm.

Somewhat surprisingly, while ammunition has to be in a box and not lose, the ammo box does not need to be locked in a box.

Last tip. When you fill out the firearms declaration card, make sure to put your cell phone number on it legibly. If they have to call you for some reason, you want them to be able to get in touch with you. That saved me once on a flight out of DFW when US Air screwed up the process.

The first time you do this, it will be a bit stressful. After a few flights, you'll be much more relaxed. It's actually a pretty simple process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
There was an airport baggage claim incident in the past 6-12 months in which a properly secured firearm in a picked up checked bag was loaded in a nearby bathroom and used in an assault. My guess is that prompted the ID tagging of the bag, picking it up from the baggage office after other passengers have departed, etc. I flew recently (3 months ago), and these measures were not yet in place, or not at those particular airports.