View Single Post

Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 299 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoneylewis View Post
Beautiful gun . I'd say if it doesn't have a turn line, it's a $ 1,400 gun minimum (I'd pay that in a split second ) and 10 years from now it's a 3k gun IF you keep it mint. Start putting wear on it and that's a different story . It's just the collector in me that realizes how rare these finds are today, and how if I were in your shoes I would simply lock this American icon away to preserve it's value. P&R N frames this nice just do not come up for sale often , and finding a nice one in nickel is ten times as hard .
We have a mint unfired Belgium made Browning Hi power circa 1970
that I could never bring myself to fire , you can probably appreciate that.
To me it would be like buying a rare uncirculated coin (like a 1916 Standing Liberty quarter ) and putting it in your pocket with your other change because hey ..coins were meant to jingle jangle around in your pocket right ? Or score a garage kept 1967 427 L71 Corvette with 12 miles on the odometer and take it to the grocery store and rack up some miles, and chips in the paint , etc.
Your gun, do what you want , but if it were mine I would treasure it .
I have a Python I paid 3k for that is unfired except 3 rounds at the factory, and I have never touched it without wearing cotton gloves ,
but your 29-2 nickel 4" is more exciting to me than the Python .
I have two 29-2 nickel 4 inchers that I paid about a thousand each, but neither is as nice as what you just picked up .
I hope you grow to appreciate the gun .

Lewis
I understand and respect your position, and appreciate your thoughts. Were this gun clearly unfired post-factory, I might feel differently, but as it is there's enough evidence it's already been shot a very wee bit. Well cared for though it obviously is, there's a very slight turn ring, and the bore had a little fouling still in it (which cleaned up perfectly). According to the seller (she shoots, too), it wasn't shot often, but a guesstimate puts it at about 50-100rds.

I think my biggest "problem" with this one is it doesn't really address what I was attempting to do in its purchase...Though I'll shoot it, even I don't really like the idea of sweating on it/having brush kiss it while checking our fences. As we all know, these things tend to multiply, and I'm already plotting getting a slightly less-pristine sister of this one. The seller also has a nice 629-3 4" available, which I hope is still there in a month or two, once I again have some funds to cover it.

When I got this one, given the options and money available, it seemed wisest to get it first of the two.

Last edited by Spook76; 08-06-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Likes This Post: